Wishlist Wednesday - Books on my "To Read" List!

Wednesday 18 March 2015

Every now and again I get the urge to put together a little wishlist - usually at a time when I'm trying to watch my money, of course!! So I thought I might make it into a little "every now and then" feature here on Allsorts and Anecdotes. This Wednesday I'm listing the books I have my eye on at the moment, which will hopefully find their way onto my kindle/bookshelf and Goodreads list at some point soon!


Bossypants by Tina Fey

Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are two big heroes of mine - I love strong, smart, funny women and they are two fantastic examples. So that's why I have absolutely no idea why I haven't managed to get my hands on Bossypants yet!! Having read Amy's book Yes Please (a review of which will be going up on here soon!), I'm even more determined to read Tina's book and revel in her wit!

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

I'm desperate to get on the bandwagon with this one - I usually try to avoid getting sucked in immediately when people get over-excited about something, and that is usually a mistake! I didn't read Gone Girl until last October, and then devoured it as quickly as possible before I went to see the film. So on this occasion I don't want to be the last to read it. It's currently about £6 on kindle, so if the price comes down a tiny bit soon I'll probably invest in it! Also, Henry Ian Cusick a.k.a love-of-my-TV-life-Desmond-Hume-from-Lost, is in the film version*, so that's an added incentive to to go to see it when it comes out!

*Update - I saw a poster and assumed this was the case. Having now looked into it, it turns out it is, in fact, a totally different film, which came out in 2013 and just happens to have the same name. GUTTED!!!

What Are Universities For? by Stefan Collini

As some of you might know from Twitter/YouTube, I recently started up a new project called The Student Switchboard (more on that coming soon too!). I loved being a student, and the entire university experience, so when I saw this book in Waterstones last week I was instantly intrigued! It's a non-fiction look at the institution of the university, and the place it holds in modern society, and although I don't know much more about it than that, I'm looking forward to reading it at some point!

The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty

This is another one of those books I've seen talked about here and there on the blogosphere, and an author who people seem to really love. I haven't read any of her books, but this one does sound good! A woman finds a letter in her attic written by her husband, and the envelope reads "to be opened only in the event of my death". I'm guessing she ignores that little instruction, and their lives begin to unravel when she discovers whatever it is that he has been hiding. Even just writing this paragraph makes me want to download it instantly.

Attachment by Rainbow Rowell

I finally got around to reading Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell last month and I absolutely loved it (you can find my review and fanfiction discussion over on my channel here!). I really enjoyed her writing style, so when I picked up Attachment on that same trip to Waterstones, I fell in love with the idea of it instantly! This book is set in 1999 (back in the days before social media took over our lives!) and follows "a lonely IT guy" who reads the email exchanges of two women who work in the same office as him (which, in theory, makes him sound creepy, but I get the impression that's not where this is going!). He falls in love with one of the women, and then finds himself in an impossible position - how does he go about introducing himself to this woman? I like the "love before first sight" idea of this book, so it's quickly making its way to the top of my to read list!


There are plenty more, but this little selection is nearest the top of my current wishlist!!

What books are currently at the top of your "to read" pile?!

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. There are so many books I want to read as well, but in a bit of a reading funk at the moment. Would love to read Tina Fey's book and really like the sound of The Husband's Secret! xx
    Rubyrubyslippers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same, I've been lazy and just keep watching TV instead of getting into a new book - I thought writing this wee wishlist might give me the kick I need! xx

    ReplyDelete